The Ministry of Justice has initiated disciplinary proceedings against judge Zaruhi Nakhshkaryan for criticizing the decision of the Supreme Judicial Council (SJC) and defending her colleague, judge Anna Pilosyan.
The submission by The Ministry of Justice, which was published in the press, clearly demonstrates that the Executive had initiated the proceedings basing on the media publications reflecting the judge Nakhshkaryan’s opinion on the issue with high public interest.
In that regard, we – the representatives of mass media and journalistic organizations – express our indignation and concern regarding the consideration of a judge’s opinion on a public interest issue directly related to the Judiciary as punishable. It is a direct encroachment on the Constitutional value of freedom of speech, because if a judge is punished for the imputed act, the public will be deprived of the opportunity to consider the alternative opinions of judges in the public discussions of great importance from the viewpoint of democracy.
We call on the authorities to back off from that dangerous initiative, and on the international organizations with freedom of speech mandate, to give an appropriate assessment.
The statement is open for signature.
1. Satik Seyranyan – President of the Union of Journalists of Armenia, editor-in-chief of 168 Zham newspaper and 168.am website
2. Aram Abrahamyan – editor-in-chief of Aravot daily
3. Armenika Kiviryan – Editor-in-Chief of the NEWS.am website
4. Bagrat Yesayan – Director of Yerkir Media TV Company
5. Sona Truzyan – Head of Pastinfo news portal
6. Vahe Sargsyan – editor-in-chief of Yerkir newspaper and Yerkir.am
7. Sevak Hakobyan-Yerevan.Today news-analytical website editor-in-chief
8. Astghik Matevosyan – Chief Editor of AntiFake.am website
9. Tatev Ayvazyan – editor of Armday.am website
10. Paylak Fahradyan – editor of Iraqanum.am website
11. Zhanna Tsarukyan-LIVEnews.am, editor-in-chief
12. Angela Tovmasyan – editor-in-chief of Hayeli club
13. Gevorg Emin-Teryan-chief editor of Oragir.news news site
14. Narek Galstyan – 24news.am website director
15. Knar Manukyan – editor-in-chief of Zhoghovurd daily
16. Angela Nalbandian – Deputy Director of PARA TV
17.Anahit Voskanyan- editor-in-chief of Panorama.am
18. Harutyun Harutyunyan- Director of 5TV Television Company
19. Lia Khojoyan- editor-in-chief of MediaHub.am
20. Emmanuil Mkrtchyan- General Director of “ArmInfo” News Agency
21. Konstantin Petrosov- Director of ARKA News Agency
22. Gagik Shamshyan- editor-in-Chief of SHAMSHYAN.com
23. Qristina Agalyan (Zartonq/ Chap)- editor
24. Marine Grigoryan- editor Golos Armenii newspaper